Rapid industrialization and a growing urban population have given rise to construction sites all around us. Construction workers toiling for hours, whether day or night, to complete the construction has become a common sight nowadays. One thing you may have seen is that every under-construction building has a metal structure around it that supports the main structure. This supporting structure plays an important role in the construction and is known as Scaffolding Stevenage .
What is scaffolding?
Scaffolding, scaffold or staging, is a structure temporarily set up around an under-construction building to support the main structure. It gives the construction workers a platform using which they can conduct the construction activities. A scaffold is generally made using metal or wood as it needs to be sturdy enough to be able to hold the weight of the worker and the materials being used by him to do the construction work. There are many types of scaffolding.
Different types of scaffolding:
- Single scaffolding: This is one of the most basic methods of scaffolding and also one of the oldest. It is used for brick masonry, which is why it is also called brick layer’s scaffolding. This type of scaffolding has standards, ledgers, putlogs which are propped against the wall at a distance of 1.2 meters away from it.
- Double scaffolding: Also known as independent scaffolding, it is used for stone masonry jobs. Making holes in stone walls for putting putlogs in it is very difficult, so two scaffoldings are used to make a structure sturdy enough. The first row is 20 – 30 cm away from the wall while the second one is at a distance of 1 meter from the first row. The structure is further made firmer by using cross braces and rakers.
- Trestle scaffolding: In this type of scaffolding, the working platform is supported by tripods or ladders that are movable. This is generally used for any work being done inside a room, like restorative work, work on paintings, etc. The height of this scaffold is up to 5 meters.
- Suspended scaffolding: In suspended scaffolding, the working platform is suspended from the roof by wire ropes or chains. It can be raised or lowered according to the height needed. This type of scaffolding is seen in work for repairs and paintings.
- Cantilever scaffolding: In cantilever scaffolding, the standards are held up by a chain of needles, pulled out from holes in the wall. It is also called single frame scaffolding. This type of scaffolding has limited usage and has to be installed with care. Cantilever scaffolding should be used when the top portion of a wall is being constructed or when the ground is unable to support the standards.
- Steel scaffolding: As understood by the name, steel scaffolding is made out of steel pipes which are set using couplers, making it very simple to put together or pull apart. Steel scaffolding has various benefits but is also expensive. It gives more safety to construction workers during construction because the structure is fireproof, has better durability, and is sturdy. Steel scaffolding is used in outdoor constructions.